Freya in the Whitsunday's last year

Freya in the Whitsunday's last year

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Rasmussen's Encephalitis Children's Project

As I mentioned in my first blog entry, Freya’s hemispherectomy was a last resort after all the available treatements failed to control her Rasmussen’s Encephalitis (RE). For a long time we thought, surely, in the 21st century, there must be a better solution to chronic inflammation than disconnecting half a child’s brain. Unfortunately while there are a few treatments that can help, most do not control the disease in the longer term. Most RE children, like Freya, eventually have a hemispherectomy. Because of the rarity of RE there has not been any significant research into finding a non-surgical cure for this horrible disease.

Our belief that more should be done to find effective treatments for RE has led me and my sister, Deirdre, to become actively involved in the RE Children’s Project. This is a registered American charity that was established earlier this year by Seth Wohlberg. Seth is the father of 12-year old Grace, who had a complicated hemispherectomy for her RE. Seth has amazing initiative and determination, and has committed very significant personal funds, time and energy to organise a conference on RE, to be held in Salt Lake City from 6-8 October this year. Over 50 of the world’s leading neurologists, immunologists and other experts will be attending the conference, which will identify ‘next steps’ for research into RE. Deirdre will travel to the conference in October but it is too early in Freya’s recovery for me to go, as I originally planned.

The RE Children’s Project focuses on raising funds for high priority RE research. There is new evidence than many forms of uncontrollable epilepsy, not just RE, are caused by autoimmune-based inflammation. Therefore, it is hoped that any breakthroughs in treating RE, which is a rare and severe form of autoimmune epilepsy, may help with other more common epilepsies.

The website for the RE Children’s Project is www.rechildrens.com . As an alternative to any gifts for Freya, perhaps you might think about making a small donation to the RE Children’s Project. Details of how to donate are on the website.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Carolyn - will check out the site. Hope Freya is continuing to make small steps in her recovery, and is feeling much better than she did just a week ago. Laughed at her charming the therapists - imagine she would have worked her magic on the GG if she'd been awake!! Hope you, Anthony & Ella are holding up ok too. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Freya!
    I think it's sad that there's no way to cure epilepsy with out surgery, hopefully in the future it will be easier for people like you.
    cant wait to see you on Monday or Tuesday!
    <3 Edie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jose Andrews is my name, Some people keep questioning God, asking him why he allowed Satan to put in the world deadly diseases, but they never know that anything happening in this life, is just for a particular reason. Here is my story on how I was cured of schizophrenia (Brain Disease) by a herbal doctor Uwadia Amneifo using his herbal mixture. Few months ago, I realized I had some problem with my system, and later on I begin to forget things easily. I complained to my doctor after his text he said just a little problem with me, but that soon I will be fine. He prescribed for me and I was taking medicine according to his prescription but my condition was getting worse instead of coming down. So I went back to my doctor after some time, he said am having issues with my brain, this continues gradually until it became worse and I was diagnosed of schizophrenia (Brain Disease) and this disease is same with SCJD. My doctor told me there is no cure to this disease that I have to live and die with it. It continued for one month and my system was almost shutting down before my cousin brother came to my house to visit and broke to us the news about a herbal doctor he heard about called doctor Uwadia Amenifo that cured some body of SCJD . So he explained how he heard about this herbal doctor uwadia Amenifo and the kind of terrible diseases this doctor have cured. His words were very impressing and I had to give the doctor a try. We made contact with him and he said he can cure me. So my cousin made all necessary arrangement with him, and he prepared herbs and send to me in USA. I took the herbs according to his prescription and behold to cut long story short his herbs works perfectly well, and cured me of my schizophrenia (Brain Disease). Today I am hale and healthy and evidence of my healthiness can been seen in this piece of note I wrote myself to tell the world about Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. Please if you know anyone suffering from brain disease, in a hurry contact Doctor Uwadia Amenifo on his email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com), and his cell no is +2349052015874. I wish all suffering from brain problem quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can i ever stop saying thank you to Dr Movo, After taking his product today my sexual life is health and balance am living up to my wife expectation. For the past 11 years i have been struggling with weak erection and premature ejaculation. I have spend money on it but no cure until i took this product from Dr Movo just within few days i got cured. for his products contact him email drmovo.supernaturalherbalmedic@gmail.com or WhatsApp/Call +2347061865209.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The doctors said Herpes virus do not have medical cure because the virus is capable of hiding within the human cells, it remains protected from your immune system. Herpes isn’t a special virus – your immune system has the tools to fight it back. But because it is able to lay dormant in protected cells, your immune system is unable to remove it from your body,But with strong reactive herbal medication is capable of getting rid of the virus gradually and totally from your body without damaging any of your cells,natural herbs kills the virus totally not just reducing the out break. Get natural herbs cure Email DR. VOODOO at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete