Freya in the Whitsunday's last year

Freya in the Whitsunday's last year

Monday, September 6, 2010

The GG drops in

Today the Governor General took time from her busy schedule of sitting around waiting to confirm who will be our next Prime Minister to visit the children on the neurology ward of the Royal Children's Hospital.  The response by the kids to the GG and her sizeable entourage was a resounding lack of interest.  In fact, Freya slept through the whole commotion.  Much more interesting however, was a visit later in the morning from Millie the cocker spanial who created much excitement amongst the children. Unfortunately Freya slept through Millie's visit as well (although we do have a very cute photo of Millie on Freya's bed for her to "remember" the visit by).
Freya was due to be transferred to the care of the Pediatric Rehabilitation Unit today, but she is too unwell.  She is nauseous, dizzy, extremely tired and still in a fair amount of pain. We are hoping that she has a better day tomorrow.  On a more positive note, the doctors are so confident that Freya's surgery has stopped all seizure activity in her brain's right hemisphere that they are reducing her anti-epileptic medication immediately (normally, they wait about 6 weeks to be sure all seizure activity has stopped).  First medication to go will be the Topamax, or "Dopey-max" as it is not so affectionately known.  It is powerful anti-epileptic drug, but quite notorious for causing cognitive slowing and mental dullness.  Hoorah!  Good riddance Topamax.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Freya
    Ella and Aunty Deirdre here. Ella is going to bed now but wants to say goodnight to you and tell you she's really missing you.

    It was great to see you yesterday, even though you did make Deirdre do a little dance! We'll stop by tomorrow.

    Love from Ella and Aunty Deirdre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Freya,
    I saw your sister at school today and she looked very proud as she told me how well you are doing. I am really enjoying keeping up with your progress on this blog!
    Our Somers Camp people set off on their adventure tomorrow morning - I told Ben to stay tidy and not lose his book but I fear he might not listen! It will be very strange having so many empty chairs but they will have so many great stories to tell when they get back. I'll keep you updated if we hear from them!
    Oh and Charlie is in a new school in South Korea! Other than that, not much news. Keep smiling :) Miss Sear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there gorgeous. I am sorry you are so unwell. You poor little poppet. I am sure it will go away very soon. If Mummy says it's OK, I will come visit later in the week. I've been missing you so much!

    Great news about the Dopey medicine though. Well done Freya!

    Lots of love from Auntie Patricia xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Freya, sorry that you had a bad day. Shame you missed Millie the dog, you would have enjoyed her. Will be over to see you in October. Pleased that you have been able to stop that horrible medicine. Love from Grandma xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freya,
    Imagine how brillant you will shine now, without the dopey medicine. Julia and I are following the blog everyday and look forward to seeing you soon. The comments on this blog reflect the myriad of feelings and support you have during this difficult journey. I hope the comments on the blog can keep you buoyed and provide inspiration for the short term and also for the long term.

    Cheering for you
    Melissa, Lou, Julia, Alex and Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Freya,
    We have been reading your blog just about every day, and so pleased so hear of the great progress you are making. This is my second attempt to post a comment on your blog as the first one just dissapeared into thin air or is that cyber space. As you may have already gathered this is my first venture into the world of bloggers so I am quite nervous as I type to you. Dora is at our house at the moment and is very happily chasing Patty out of our garden and parking her head off. Luckily your mum isn't here to hear her. Keep getting better every day and we will come and visit soon.
    We miss your smiling face in Bank street,
    lots of love,
    Antoinette and family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again Freya!
    Like Antoinette I am somewhat "cyber challenged" and have tried and failed a couple of times (when Hannah isn't around to to help me) to post a blog, but we are following your progress very closely. I guess you aren't too upset that you missed the Governor General even though she does seem very nice, but missing Millie is another matter. Maybe she can come back for another visit one day. I hope you had a better day today than yesterday. I know it will be lots of hard work but it will be worth it when you are better and walking out of that hospital and home to all your friends and Ella and Mum and Dad.
    Love as always, Susan, Alan, Hannah and Joel xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Freya,
    Glad I am not the only one who has had trouble blogging I just read Auntie Susan and Antoniette's blogs. First I couldn't even get your Mum's blogs up, rang your dad and he told me what I was doing wrong. I then rang Uncle Lou to ask him to help me blog, unfortunately he doesn't blog but tried to talk Auntie Melissa and me(on phone) thru it, after about 10 tries and half an hour I gave up as I didn't think it had worked. Later thought I would have another try and lo and behold it had worked at some time with Uncle Lou. BUT I have still managed to lose at least 2 to cyberspace, never mind I think I have it now. It has been a learning experience for lots of people, you helped us to do that. Hope you had a better day yesterday. Love Grandma. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Freya,
    Great to hear that your awake again. I keep feeling though that there is a space missing from the classroom. That's probably because you are not here.
    Can't wait until you're back at school,
    -Elise

    ReplyDelete