Freya in the Whitsunday's last year

Freya in the Whitsunday's last year

Monday, September 13, 2010

a few goals

Today we had a meeting with the staff of the Rehab. Unit to discuss Freya's progress and map out some goals for her in-patient stay.  This meeting will occur every Tuesday morning and will be an opportunity for all those from the unit who are involved in Freya's care to come together to talk with Anthony and I about how she is tracking.  The short-term physical goals the OTs and PTs have set for Freya are to be:
1.  Sitting independently by the end of this week
2.  Standing with support by the end of next week
3.  Taking a few steps with support by the end of the following week.

From where we are now these seem like pretty ambitious goals, but we are assured by the team that they are achievable.  While Freya has agreed to sign up to the plan in principle, the difficult part will definitely be maintaining her motivation.  For all those who know Freya well, you will know that perseverance is not a quality she is over-familiar with, and unfortunately, there is no easy path on this trip.
Thank you to everyone for your encouraging and supportive blogs. (and I'm sorry that the mechanics has been such a pain for so many), now that Freya is much more alert and bright she loves being read the messages.

8 comments:

  1. Hello there Freya. Thank you for allowing me to visit you yesterday. You looked as beautiful as ever. I hope the quilt that my sister Brita gave you gave you sweet dreams.

    Your Great-aunt Heather rang to see how you were getting on. Do you remember hearing about a Great-aunt when Pammy used to read Millie Molly Mandy to you. Perhaps your mother might read it to you some time.

    Can I come to visit you again sometime?
    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Freya,
    I will be visiting in a few weeks, I am really looking forward to seeing you. and seeing how much progress you have made, I hope that by the time I am in Melbourne you are able to take a few steps, wouldn't that be great. See if you can surprise me.
    Did Dad tell you that Paige and Jesse have a baby sister called Jade. She is nearly as cute as you were as a tiny baby. I will bring some photos to show you. Kittens and puppies are cute when they are tiny too.
    Love Grandma xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's gr8 to hear Freya!

    Hopefully it gets better quick!

    Everyone misses u,

    -Elise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Freya,
    Michaela and I have eagerly been reading about your journey. We are so happy that everything is going so well.
    hugs
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear freya,
    We are so sure you are going to find the strength and motivation to get you up and going again. I spoke to Ella on the weekend and she told me she knows where they keep the bisciuts, I am sure soon you will be able to raid the cupboard yourself. Adele has been home for the last week with a high temperature, so has spend quite a few hours on the couch, she should be well enough to go to school on thursday. Bank street is very quiet without you,
    get well soon,
    lots of love Antoinette and family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey gorgeous Frey,

    I know it's hard, really really hard work, but everybody - all us hundreds who love you - are right behind you and know 100% that you can do it. And every goal reached will surely be rewarded with cakes and elephants and all the lovely things you so deserve!

    I am hoping to come to visit again tomorrow. It'll be great to see your beautiful face.

    Love Auntie Patricia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps. I stole your mother's copy of Milly Molly Mandy about 35 years ago but for you (shhhhhh), I will give it back.

    Px

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Freya, I hope my blog works this time! It is great to hear that you are visiting different places in the hospital. The garden sounds lovely and I hope you can show it to us when we come. Uncle Alan has a new Ipad which I am bringing to Melbourne. He has put lots of photos on it and I'll bring it to show you. Joel thinks it is his though so Alan doesn't get to use it much.
    It will be amazing if you are standing and taking a few steps by yourself soon. Just try to imagine yourself running again sometime soon on a beautiful beach. I'm sure you will have the determination to make it happen. It is nice that you have had some visitors and you are enjoying reading the blog. We are certainly enjoying reading everyone's thoughts and best wishes. Lots of love, Susan, Alan, Hannah and Joel.xxx.

    ReplyDelete